Prostate cancer peer support groups – understanding your experiences & your needs
Tackle Prostate Cancer (TPC), the patient-led organisation for people living with prostate cancer commissioned METRO Charity to conduct research about peer support groups in 2021. Focusing on the West Midlands, this pilot research is expanding with a national survey during 2023 to learn more about the experiences and needs of those living with prostate cancer who lead, use, or who want to access peer support.
The aim of this research is to understand more about the full range of people who use peer support groups and better meet the needs of the diverse population living with prostate cancer in England and Wales. TPC also wants to reach those who may have found difficulties accessing peer support groups or who have encountered barriers for a range of reasons, including their identity and their protected characteristics (see Equality Act 2010).
Two surveys will be launched on 20th March 2023 at TPC’s conference and will run for six weeks:
- Members’ survey
- Leaders’ survey
There are no right or wrong answers to the survey questions: We are interested in your perceptions, thoughts, and lived experiences.
The survey will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete, with options for expanding on your views and points if you wish to.
Survey participants can choose to be entered into a prize draw.
Who can take part?
- People living with or affected by prostate cancer who have used TPC peer support groups
- People living with or affected by prostate cancer who have found barriers accessing groups,
- People living with or affected by prostate cancer who have struggled to find a group that meets their identity needs (for example, age; culture; disability; racialized people; sexual orientation; gender identity)
- Anyone living with or affected by prostate cancer who has struggled to find a suitable group
- Those who care for or support somebody living with prostate cancer
- Those who have previously cared or supported for somebody living with prostate cancer
- Current prostate cancer peer support group leaders in TPC federation
- Previous prostate cancer peer support group leaders in TPC federation
How is the project being managed?
This research has been commissioned by Tackle Prostate Cancer and is being delivered by METRO Charity. The University of Greenwich is providing data analysis support as a sub-contractor.
Why have I been invited to take part?
You are currently or have previously been a member of a TPC peer support group, or a group leader, or have previously contacted TPC about attending group through a clinical referral.
What are the benefits of taking part?
- You can provide confidential feedback on your experience of using peer support groups.
- Your experiences can inform changes and improvements in peer support services.
We are not aware of any risks this study may pose to you; however, you can contact us if you have any concerns about your participation in this survey: firstname.lastname@example.org
Confidentiality and Data Storage Information
After participation, you will be free to withdraw your data within 14-days of participation. To do so, you will be asked to enter a code by which your data can be identified. To withdraw your data, simply email us the request of withdraw along with the code: email@example.com
All information which is collected about you during the course of the research will be kept strictly confidential. The survey data is being processed by METRO Charity, however TPC is the data controller.
The results of this research may be published or reported, but your name will not be associated in any way with any published results. Data will only be made available to the research team directly involved in this study and is kept on password-protected electronic storage. Should you choose to provide your email address for the prize draw entry and/or to participate in future research, we will keep this data secure and will not make these available to anyone outside of the research team, and it will only be used for the purposes of this research.
We will contact you in the future if you have indicated in providing your email address that you would be willing to take part in future studies
For any further queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Tackle Prostate Cancer, please visit our website: Tackle Prostate Cancer